Last Updated on November 8, 2020 by Stephen Tillman
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links it means we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More
Tires are what brings the motion in an automobile, be it a two-wheeler bike or a four-wheeler SUV. Apart from this, the tires support the weight of the car, and provide a frictional force to stop accidents or skating of the vehicle on wet roads. For such varied functions, there are several types of tires based on the type of rubber used in the manufacturing and their tread patterns. Today, we will talk about the highway tires, which are all-season tires made with premium quality rubber. They can handle heavier loads of the four wheelers while running at full speeds on highways.
Since, the highway tires are one of the most chosen car parts, here we will present to you the five best names that have become the reigning champions in the global automobile industry. These five tires are unique and known for their long range of features, which set them apart from every other highway tire you can find out there.
So, without further ado, here are 5 of our favorite highway tires:
Best For SUV
|5. MICHELIN Defender LTX M/S|
|Check Price On Amazon|
Best For The Money
|4. Firestone Destination LE2|
|Check Price On Amazon|
|3. Vercelli Strada 2|
|Check Price On Amazon|
Best For Wet Roads
|2. Goodyear Assurance|
|Check Price On Amazon|
Best Budget Option
|1. Milestar MS932|
|Check Price On Amazon|
The Top 5 Best Highway Tires
5. MICHELIN Defender LTX M/S
- Can generate special traction force for traveling over snow
- Has been made more durable and resilient to repeated wear and tear
- Limited treadwear warranty for up to seventy thousand miles
- Quieter and smooth gliding action on different terrains
- Perfectly suitable for crossovers, SUVs, and light trucks
- Helps in saving fuel
- Good snow traction
- Short wet stopping distance
Michelin has always been on the upfront with amazing patented technologies that make the tires more reliable and trustworthy. Irrespective of the tread patterns and the traction force, the brand has been able to win a lot of appreciations in the recent years. This new LTX M/S tire has become one of the best highway tires the four-wheeler owners have ever encountered till date. Even though some would regard this tire as an extended version of its earlier versions, it has some really unique and advanced eatures, which make it one of the best creations from Michelin.
The all-season tread tracks on the tire are based on the Michelin’s Evertread Technology. Hence, the tires have a high endurance level, because of which the tread tracks won’t flatten out due to repeated wear and tear. Thanks to the incorporation of this impeccable technology, the Michelin Defender M/S highway tires can travel on tougher road conditions without succumbing to the roughness of the terrain. These tires have a decent load-handling capacity of 2039 pounds, because of which it can handle both the full-size pickups of SUVs and trucks.
The rubber surface will provide huge traction force, which has been customized based on the terrain. For example, it will produce huge friction force on wet covers, but will glide along the dry terrains. Because of this unique feature, the tires will work silently without making any noticeable noise. Hence, the ride will be nothing short of peace and comfort. Featuring 245mm section width and 8.5 inches rim width, they come with 60-days satisfaction guarantee and 3-year flat tire assistance.
4. Firestone Destination LE2
- Provides limited warranty up to sixty thousand miles for tread life
- Consists of cross and ziz-zag grooves to glide over any kind of terrain
- Both the cornering and handling abilities have been improvised for supreme steering control
- Reduced risks of hydroplaning on wet and rough terrains
- The tread tracks can flatten out under high amount of wear and tear
Firestone has introduced the LE2 highway all-terrain tires that have quite a lot of unique features to reign the market. With a set of impeccable advantages, the tire is becoming one of the best highway tires in the market. Firestone’s LE2 tires can be used in several four-wheelers, including the crossovers, light trucks, and SUVs.
The tread patterns present on the tire surface will help you to generate a considerable amount of traction force for different terrain types. For example, it can resist slipping on the snow-covered surfaces easily by generating the needed traction force against the road. Apart from this, the tires also have a series of notched blocks along the shoulder length, which have developed the cornering ability of the vehicle and the handling performance.
On the rubber surface, you will find different types of grooves present along the circumference, along with zigzag sipes and sweeping slots. The presence of these patterns will help you to travel smoothly over wet terrains, without the fear of slipping due to hydroplaning. Section width of 215mm, rim width of 6.5 inches, and load capacity of 1709 pounds, these tires are built to last and deliver all-season performance on both dry and wet surfaces. Manufactured in Canada, they have closed shoulder blocks, and stepped inside notches. As far as noise is concerned, they are optimized for noise sequencing to give you a quiet ride.
3. Vercelli Strada 2
- The tires offer a noiseless, quiet, and less bumpy rides
- Low rolling resistance for different road surfaces
- Circumferential grooves offer strong traction on wet roads
- Helps in improving mileage of the vehicle
- Enhanced steering control
When it comes to all-season tires, nothing can ever surpass the features of the Vercelli Strada highway tire. Made from unique features and tread design, these tires have gained a lot of appreciation from the four-wheeler owners. The rubber used in this tire is of high-quality, because of which you can worry less about the fast wear and tear of the tread tracks on the circumference.
With section width of 245mm, tread depth of 12.7 32nds, and load capacity of 1929 pounds, these tires become more durable and efficient for driving on any kind of terrain. The central rib and the side shoulder patterns will allow you to control the steering in a better way, thereby giving you the opportunity to make smooth turns around the corners. The high silica compound used in the manufacturing of the tire provides resistance to hydroplaning, thereby making the tires suitable for covering tracks on wet and snow covered terrains.
The central rib design of the tire will provide a better velocity along with a fast brake response time, thereby helping you to drive safely on rough terrains. Maximum tread life and resistance to rolling improves the mileage of your vehicle, and its circumferential groovers provide strong force of traction while driving in wet conditions. With excellent traction, grip and handling, it is able to give you a smooth and comfortable ride all year round.
2. Goodyear Assurance
- Whopping warranty of sixty-five thousand miles
- Suitable for both dry and wet pavements
- Low-noise producing tread patterns
- One can travel on any kind of terrain, including dry, wet, and snow
- Price is little high
Just like the name sounds, Goodyear provides an amazing series of tires suitable for different cars, terrains, and even seasons. But this amazing Assurance all-season tire won the market the moment it was launched. The tire can be used on a variety of cars, starting from the sedans and SUVs to smaller passenger trucks. However, the main advantage of getting this tire is in its built, which has been carefully thought-out to ensure that the users can have smooth and comfortable rides throughout, irrespective of the terrain.
With a closer look at the tire, you can find the shoulder blocks which have been constructed independently. This arrangement will provide you a better control over the handling of the car. Also, the rounder shoulder blocks will give you control over the corners during sharp turns, thereby helping you to avoid accidents, especially if you have a blind turn ahead.
There are wide grooves on the circumference, which will help you to avoid skidding on a water-covered surface. These grooves will allow the tire to release the water from underneath the rubber surfaces, thereby providing a smooth transit on the wet pavements. The optimized tread design minimizes road noise to give you a quieter ride. The manufacturer offers 65000 miles tread life warranty, that ensures durability and performance.
1. Milestar MS932
- Impeccable features present at an affordable price rate
- Has three speed ratings- T, H, and V ratings
- Suitable for a variety of passenger vehicles
- Has separate features for both dry and wet pavements
- Can travel on light snow only, not for deeper snow sheets
If you want an all-rounder highway tire for your car, then no other tire will be as appropriate as the Milestar’s MS932 radial tire. It has features that make it suitable for various cars, starting from the sport vehicles to sedans and normal SUVs. So, it won’t matter what kind of car you have, because if the parameters match, you can easily get this tire without any second thought. If you take a close look, you will find that the tread patterns on the rubber surface are unique, something which will definitely help you to travel on any kind of terrain with ease. They are characterized with wide circumferential ribs for improved handling, grip, and stability, lateral siping for consistent traction even in adverse weather conditions, optimized tread for high performance in all seasons, and wide grooves on the circumference for reduced hydroplaning and removal of water.
The tire has a section width of 215mm, load capacity of 1653 pounds, and tread depth if 10 32nds. The tread design has been enhanced to improve handling on dry roads. The tread compound and pattern has been designed in such a way that it can work well on all types of terrains in different seasonal conditions. The arrangement is done in such a manner that it provides improved cornering ability to give supreme control over the steering.
Things To Look For Before Buying Highway Tires
There are a huge number of highway or all-terrain tires in the market, which will definitely make you baffled. This is why choosing the best highway tires has never been easy. But, since you need these tires for providing versatility to your car, you can’t ignore its importance. For this reason, we have described here the ways in which you can have the best tire without having to put extra effort. Here are a few factors you must keep in mind while making your selection:
- Load capacity: This is the weight-handling capacity of the tire, which is one of the main factors for judging the suitability of the highway tires. The tire you have chosen must be able to handle more weight than what your car’s load is.
- UTQG: This is a series of parameters pertaining to a tire, starting with the resistance to the traction coefficient. So, at the time of choosing the best highway tire, you need to ensure that these parameters match your demands.
- Tread Patterns: Based on the patterns of the tread tracks running along the circumference of the tires, the traction power will vary. You need to choose the tires which provide the best all-season traction based on the weather in your place. For example, if it doesn’t snow in your area, you won’t have to spend extra time in choosing a tire for snow terrains.
- Durability: You need to make sure that the tread tracks present on the rubber circumference won’t wear out sooner than expected. It should last for longer times, no matter how rough the terrain can get sometimes. Have a look at the treadwear warranty provided by the manufacturer to ensure its durability.
- Price: Another important factor that you need to consider while buying the best highway tire is its price. Never compromise the features or the quality of the tire just to save a few dollars. But always make sure you are buying a tire within your affordable range without compromising on quality.
Even though we have handpicked the five most popular highway tire names, it is your final call. You have to make the decision about the tire at the end of the day and that’s why you need to pay special attention to all the features, the cons and pros, and also the buying guide which we have explained here.